Library Tutor

Secure English Language Test Courses (SELT)

Improve your English and take a secure Language Test

If you are planning to live, work or study in the UK, you may be asked to prove your level of English with an English language test.

You may need to prove your knowledge of English by passing a Secure English Language Test (SELT).

We offer preparation courses for Secure English Language Tests in our Trinity Registered Exam Centre in Portsmouth to improve your language skills and be more confident when you will take your exam.

Trinity SELT.jpg

Trinity College London is one of the approved test providers, assessed as meeting Home Office requirements under the secure English language testing arrangements.

Trinity offers two different SELT exams for visa purposes:

  • GESE (Graded Examinations in Spoken English). GESE is a test of speaking and listening.

  • ISE (Integrated Skills in English). ISE is a test of all four language skills: reading, writing speaking and listening.

The exam you need depends on the visa you require.

Course Overview

The courses start every School Terms (September, January and April) and they consist of one evening class a week of 2 hours, for a total of 10 weeks which is ideal for those with various commitments or working full-time.


At the end of the course you will book your exam selecting the test that you need at the level you need for your UK visa requirements.

If you're not sure what test you need we will help to choose the right one according with your needs. Also you can check directly with UK Visas and Immigration here.

There are tests for:

  • Live in the UK

  • Work in the UK

  • Study in the UK

It is the candidate's/applicant's sole responsibility to choose the correct exam for their requirements. Tertulia Language accepts no responsibility for the exam chosen.

Courses run every term subject to a minimum number of students.

What is a SELT?

SELT Secure English Language Test is a test which assesses your knowledge of English.

These tests are accepted by the UK Visas and Immigration for visa applications where evidence of English language ability is required (i.e.Leave to remain, British Citizenship, Work and Student Visas).

Urban Graffiti
Team Meeting

What level of English do I need?

Your English level is assessed according to CEFR - the Common European Framework for languages.

The level of English you require will depend on the visa you are applying for.

Visa requirement information is subject to change. Applicants should refer to UK Government guidance on English language exams for visas and are responsible for ensuring they take the correct exam.